National Conference 2010
Under the Radar - A Focus on Young Carers
Our National Conference took place on 7th May 2010 in the Croke Park Conference Centre, Dublin.
Purpose of the Conference:
In Towards 2016 Government committed to commission a study on the extent to which children and young people undertake inappropriate caring roles and to establish a programme of in-home supports to alleviate the specific issues identified. In 2008, the Child and Family Research Centre of NUIG were commissioned by the Office of the Minister for Children and Youth Affairs to undertake this study.
- Launched the national study of young Carers commissioned by the Office of the Minister for Children and Youth Affairs and undertaken by the Child and Family Research Centre, National University of Ireland, Galway;
- Presented the findings of the study on young Carers, explored the impact that caring has had on their lives and examined mechanisms through which young Carers in Ireland can be identified and supported;
- Explored international research, policy and practice in relation to young Carers and encouraged new thinking in how we address their needs;
- Provided a forum for the exchange of ideas, best practices and experiences of young Carers within our communities.
Phone Karen on 057-9322920 or email email@example.com
Young Carers Seminar 2012
- A better understanding of issues facing young carers
- Connection with leading practitioners in this
- emerging area
- Enhanced collaboration between organisations
- Movement to set up and develop additional local young carer support projects
To read the report, brochure and presentations please click here.
Speakers Geoffry Shannon, Lee-Anne Greville, Mandy Bell and Gary Rutherfrd with Kevin O'Boyle (seminar chair) and Nora Kirrane.
Young Carer of the Year 2013 Mandy Norris, officially opening and speaking at the seminar.